Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Best Restuarant in DC

My Best Restuarant in DC Award goes to Lalibela Etheopian restuarant on 14th and P. The food is amazing, the prices good, and the setting authentic. The best dishes to get there include the Lalibela Tibs, a great spicy saucy lamb; Yebere Tibs, a not so spicy steak; and the best of the house, the Dulet, a mixture of lamb tripe, raw beef, and liver with jalapenos. Okay, the Dulet sounds disgusting, but everytime I force someone to try it without telling them what's in it first, they fall in love with it. It's all about the spices. I always also get a vegetarian sampler to give it a good mix.
Unlike the Etheopian restuarants in Adams Morgan, Lalibela is not packed with yuppies (just a few, given the recent gentrification of the area), but caters to Etheopian regulars (mostly men who like to order spaghetti). My greatest fear is that when all the luxury condos around there are done, the developers will move into the smaller plots in the area like Lalibela and build Irish watering holes trendy coffee shops. Lalibela has been my comfort base since 2002.

6 comments:

overlain said...

hmmm....why do you malign us yuppies? Well, maybe I ain't so young anymore, but I have strived to be upwardly mobile nevertheless. We like these kind of restaurants, too.

satay said...

It's my first time here, and I hate you for making me feel hungry at work ... arghh!!

I started writing my blog, well, one entry ... and I wrote about Dave ... mwahaha.

Raff said...

I am suspicious of Ethopian because of the spongy bread that looks alive. I am also a first time here, except i not hungry cos the Freeman Chair just overordered on Chinese food.....

nakman said...

you spelled "ethiopian" incorrectly. several times.

Raff said...

d'oh - just realized my speeling mistak - it's because there is no red underlining in this little box. oops.

Kris said...

I think he was referring to my spelling on the blog post.